COVID-19 UPDATE – Updated March 2021
We have temporarily suspended out of province adoptions as of November 2020, we will be reconsidering this restriction each month.
All meet and greets are done with everyone’s safety in mind so masks, sanitizer, and social distancing is used by our volunteers and a virtual home visit using a live video chat may be done in place of a volunteer entering the home.
These policies are in a continuous state of consideration and may be changed as new information is made available.
We do have a long waiting list but please don’t hesitate to email the adoptions team or fill in an application with your wish list. All emails will be answered
In order for Freedom Dog Rescue to continue to address the medical and daily needs of all our dogs in care, an adoption fee is required for all our dogs. This fee is considered NON-refundable and is as follows:
0-1 year old $600
1-2 year old $550
2-5 year old $450
5-8 year old $400
8+ year old $300
We are a foster based rescue so all our dogs are in private homes in the Ottawa area
The foster has the first seven days to decide if they will adopt the foster dog
Based on the age of the dog all our dogs are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, dewormed, and health checked at minimum. All vetting is done at one of our partner vets here in Ottawa so there may be multiple visits that the dog needs to return to Ottawa for. These visits are set before the adoption day and must be attended
All dogs that come through Freedom Dog Rescue are spayed/neutered at 6 months of age or as soon as possible if they come into care at that age or older. This is non- negotiable, the date and location is set in the contract and must be attended
For adopters not in the Ottawa area please note that we do not adopt on a first come first served basis so while you are required to come to Ottawa to meet the dog there is no guarantee of the match until you have met the dog and all meet and greets are completed.
We do not ship our dogs, if you’re chosen you are responsible for arranging and bringing the dog home with you.
We do not hold dogs, once the adoption process finalizes we set the adoption date as soon as possible to open the foster home for another dog in need
Our adoption process starts with the adoption application found on our website, once received the adoption team will be in touch to discuss available matches or whether a specific dog is named and still available for adoption.
Please note that each dog meets 2-3 applicants and the foster chooses the best match for each dog based on their individual needs. If the right match isn’t found in the first group of applicants, then more will be accepted.
If your application is not chosen for a dog the adoption team will continue to work with you to find the right match so please don’t give up! The right dog is worth waiting for!
1. Applicant must fill out the adoption application found on our website. If an application has already been filled out please email firstname.lastname@example.org and they will find your application.
2. The adoptions director reviews the application and matches it against the bio sent from the foster family to see if they are a good fit. Once your interest is confirmed we will put you in touch with the foster family
3. The foster family will contact you via email or phone call to introduce the dog and arrange a meet and greet with all members of the family including any dogs living in the household
4. Once all meet and greets are completed if the right match is found the foster will do a home visit with the dog. This allows both the foster and potential family to see the dog in the household and show them around
5. If both the foster and potential adopter agree it’s a good match then we proceed with the reference check, three personal references and a vet reference (if not a first time animal owner) are needed and must be passed before an adoption is approved
6. Once the references are passed the adoption package is created and the foster or foster coordinator will reach out to the family to set the adoption date and details on the adoption fee payment methods. Any supplies the dog arrived with will be given to the new family
7. If vetting covered by Freedom Dog Rescue is not completed before the adoption date those dates will be set in the contract with a date, time, and location and Freedom Dog Rescue will cover the cost of the appointment